Monday, July 7, 2008

The well balanced Child

I just read half a book today, because I found in one book what I have been trying to piece together for 3 years in the many books I have read. There is more to learn, as always, but like I said, this book was the most complete information I have ever read under one cover.

This blog will be about the first half, and then I will do another about the final chapters in the book.

Here is the book

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Balanced-Child-Movement-Learning/dp/1903458633

I loved something written in the forward by Harold N Levinson, MD. " Science progresses not by convincing the adherents of old theories that they are wrong but by allowing enough time to pass so that a new generation can arise unencumbered by the old errors" Nobel Physicist Max Plank

The forward talks about why it has taken so long to put together this information for learning disabilities! I think of RDI with this too, that the Science community ( some of them anyway) are resistant to anything that is different then what they know! Change is a hard concept for people to embrace!

The introduction talks about when you strip a child of his capability to cope with his environment, no amount of coaching, bribing or bullying will get him to want to do what you want! He actually becomes a larger problem. On page 2, the author states " I became fascinated at the functional impact of any stage of development.....what does each stage of child development actually do in helping to build the architecture of the brain?"

Chapter one starts the movement of a baby in their mothers womb thru birth.

Chapter two talks about balance... " the art of not moving". Balance helps our kids know where they are at in space. This chapter basically goes over the vestibular system and how our vestibular system talks to our brain. And how what we do to our vestibular system effects our balance. Then it goes into talking about how babies learn about balance, and sense of direction.

"Types of movements that help to train balance involve changes of movement in space..1. Up and down movements 2. to and fro 3. Centrifungal force- carousels 4. turning movements of the body, and 5. Depth ( riding on a scooter board) She goes into signs and symptoms that would indicate problems.....

Chapter 3 talks about the developing the mind. This chapter was the eye opener for me, as she then talks about reflexes! There are three groups of reflexes that support the child thru its first 3.5 year of life. 1. Intra Uterine reflexes 2. Primitive reflexes 3. Postural reflexes ( page 24). She talks about what they are for, and when they are supposed to end. Chapter 4 pretty much continues talking about reflexes but adds coordination and the developing mind. She goes over the Moro reflex. This was so interesting to me because I remember my SIL told me about this, when Jesse was a baby. If you let go of the top half of the baby (like you are going to drop the baby), an infants Moro reflex tells the brain to extend their arms! If this does not happen, there is something going on developmentally! She continues to talk about the Moro reflex, along with the Tonic Labyrinthine reflex, The Asymmetrical tonic neck reflex, and The Symmetrical tonic neck reflex. Then she talks about the rooting and sucking reflexes, The Palmar and Plantar reflexes, the babinski reflex, and the spinal galant reflex.

As I read this information, the last few years flashed before my eyes. Why was it that my son could not grasp my hand with a good grip when holding my hand to cross the street? Why was he totally confused when he did not understand how to do a jumping jack? Why could he not chew for the first few years of his life? These answers and many more were in this chapter! And while we have worked to help my sons issues, I never understood what went wrong....until this book! After each section with each reflex, is information on how each reflex functions, and the effects of the retained reflex. Then in the back are 20 exercises to help brain and body integration! Upon reading this book so far, I can see that the program ( DVD) I purchased last year, Move to learn, mimics working on reflexes with helping the child go thru the stages. It is great to understand why the program does what it does now! Many of the things I do with Jesse I know see why it helps because this book has explained it to me. Here is the blog again with all the things I'm currently doing http://dynamicdarrowduo.blogspot.com/2008/07/neurodevelopmental-health.html

After she covers reflexes, Chapter 5 and 6 are about music and the brain. I pretty much am familiar with the information because of the Listening program. I do see how if the listening program, or anything for that manner, is done without the proper developmental prerequistes, it is not to the maximum benefit. This would be why some people may say it did not work for their child!

Still have to read Chapters 8-11...and will blog about those when I do :) Please ask me questions...... I could not of possibly covered the material in one blog for this book.....there is alot, but I can answer specific questions for members at the RDI homeschooling board and/or The Autism remediation board. Or you can just post your questions in the comments section here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a fascinating book. It would be a good way for me to revisit sensory integration. Thanks for the review; I look forward to reading more. You have a beautiful family!

Penny said...

Thanks for taking the time to blog about the book--I will probably order it if I can't find it easily via interlibrary loan. And I agree w/ Steph: your family is BEAUTIFUL!

walking said...

I just added it to my paperbackswap wishlist!

Does it talk about adults? My daughter is 19!

Kathy said...

Tammy
Everything written could be used for any child ( even the adult children :)) It talks about developmentally ready, not age!

The one thing I dont like about the book, is it talks about Evolution. I wish the author did not include this very faith based belief in the book. What a disservice to our kids to say that they evolved, and to put the spin of development towards that. Im a creationist and look at development thru the eyes of a creator.

Kathy said...

Steph and Penny
Thank you so much for your kind words!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
thanks for writing that review. i was looking in to Brain Gym today, but stumbled upon your blog looking through our RDI christians stuff. your summary is so descriptive, but i am feeling a little overwhelmed b/c you are doing all this great stuff, but i am doing none of that. we have been doing OT, but are now switching to PT b/c i want to focus on Steven's large motor strength. do you have any direction for me?
Alicia Taylor

Kathy said...

HI Alicia
WIthout knowing your son, I can only say that I believe that for me, I kept reacting to my sons deficits in sensory instead of really looking at his deficits developmentally. You say you were doing OT but are switching to PT. That is a sort of red flag for me. Does he not need OT any longer? Or was it just a choice you had to make ( one or the other)....
Large motor strength has prerequisites also....and I cant say for certainty that PTs understand this or if they are just trying to *get* the skill.
I have a few other books I want to get....one of them is Physical activities to increase strength and learning.
I really just encourage you to look at things yourself also, and not depend on OT or PT.... information is a powerful thing! Im here to help..... I will post the book Im interested in getting

Kathy said...

Physical Activities for Improving Children's Learning and Behavior (Paperback)
by Billye Ann Cheatum

This is the next book Im looking to get :)